Northern Science

Science in the Yukon

Who's doing what: There's plenty of science being done in the Yukon, both by Yukoners and by scientists from Outside. Check out these links to see some of what's happening:

  • Your Yukon: a weekly column about Yukon environmental science from Environment Canada and the Yukon News that ran from 1996 to 2006. The archive contains more than 300 columns.
  • Arctic Borderlands Ecological Knowledge Co-op: An alliance of government, academic, and community researchers monitoring environmental change through a mixture of science and local/traditional knowledge.
  • Wolf Creek Research Basin: Wolf Creek, near Whitehorse, is the location of a long-term multidisciplinary research project that started in 1992 and now includes research on climate and climate change, vegetation, forestry, fisheries and wildlife.
  • Porcupine Caribou Herd Satellite Collar Project: a cooperative project, between a number of wildlife agencies and Boards, that uses satellite radio collars to document seasonal range use and migration patterns of the Porcupine Caribou herd in northern Yukon, Alaska and NWT.
  • Mining and Petroleum Environmental Research Group: A cooperative working group made up of government agencies, mining companies, Yukon First Nations and non-government organizations for the promotion of research into mining and environmental issues in the Yukon.
  • Yukon Geology Program: Collects, compiles, and communicates information about the geology and earth resources of the Yukon.
  • Kluane Alpine Ecosystem Project and the St. Elias Climate Change Project: Two major research projects involving Dr. David Hik, Canada Research Chair in Northern Ecology at the University of Alberta, in partnership with a number of Yukon researchers.

Licensing: Scientists undertaking research in the Yukon need a licence issued under the provisions of the Yukon Scientists and Explorers Act or the Yukon Archaeological Sites Regulations. Licences are issued by the Yukon Heritage Resources Unit. The Guidebook on Scientific Research in the Yukon is available at the Department of Tourism and Culture website. The licence applications can also be found at the Department of Tourism and Culture website.

Funding: While Yukon sources of funding for scientific research are limited, there are a few. These include:

Networking: To find out what's happening and to link up with other researchers, contact the YSI or check out some of the following:

  • Taiga Net is a web service connected to a number of websites that offer a wealth of information and contacts related to Yukon and northern research and organizations.
  • Yukon College has a number of science-related courses and programs, as well as staff and facilities.
  • The Yukon Beringia Interpretive Centre provides information about the Yukon's prehistoric past and links to research about it.

Yukon Science Institute
P.O. Box 31137, Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 5P7
Phone: (867) 667-2979